G9: 1930 Lillian Burdett & Borden Kenyon

Lillian Burdett was born in 1930 and was the third child born to Lottie Jane Shiels and Howard Burdett. She was a ninth generation descendant of Micheal Shiels. 

The following is Lillian’s lineage.

  • G1: Micheal Shiels 1671 & Bessie Brown
  • G2: Daniel Shiels 1719 & Jessie Scott
  • G3: James Shiels 1750 & Janet Younger
  • G4: Robert Shiels 1769-1845 & Annie Dickson
  • G5: Thomas Shiels 1795-1839 & Barbara Jean Cranston
  • G6: John Shiels 1826-1908 & Janet McNair
  • G7: Thomas Shiels 1857-1928 & Rachel Ann Brigham
  • G8: Lottie Jane Shiels 1893-1988 & William Howard Burdett
  • G9: Lillian Burdett 1930-2015 & Robert Borden Kenyon
    • G10: Melvin Robert Kenyon 1950 & Susan Christena Hayword
    • G10: Buddy Howard Kenyon 1951-2019 & Bonnie Lew Jenzen
    • G10: Kathleen Ann Kenyon 1952 & Donald Dean Wilkie
    • G10: Reginald Dewayne Kenyon 1957 & Shelly Parthenalsr  

G9: Lillian Burdett 1930-2015 & Robert Borden Kenyon

Lillian Rosella Burdett was the youngest daughter of Lottie and Howard Burdett and was born in little country home in south eastern Saskatchewan known as Corning, on Nov 28, 1930. Grandma Shiels was there as a mid wife, but Dr Argue from Winthurst  had to be called. It was touch and go for both Mother and child. Lillian was only five pounds when she was born at home. The following was written by Lillian.

In the late 20’s and early thirties it was well known to all people on the prairies as the dirty-30’s. Crops and gardens either dried up or the grass hoppers got them. If crops were sewn, the wind would sweep the soil up so bad, it would blow it away. In these very hard times, good meals were impossible to make. At an early age, I got pneumonia. It was so bad that Dr Finely said he could do no more. Mother and Grandma Shiels wouldn’t give up and they decided that they would try goose grease and onions. The onions were cooked in goose grease, then spread on a cloth wrapped up and placed on my chest. They did this for several days and nights. On the ninth day, I took a turn for the better. I can never thank my mother and grandmother enough, if it had not been for them I wouldn’t be here to tell this story.

My parents spent four years at Corning. I had a sister Eveleen that was 10 years older and a brother Norman that was five years older than me. In the years there, my father did anything he could in the line of work to make a little money. Jobs were few and money scare, so they had to go on relief, that was five dollars a month. Relief gave a pair of shoes to children going to school, Eveleen and Norman got shoes, they told mother that I didn’t need them because I didn’t need to go out side. My mother made me a pair of heavy slippers, my mother was a very good seamstress, could sew any thing and make tailored clothing.

In 1934, my parents heard of a chance to leave the south and move north. In the fall, father took the household goods and the livestock and loaded them on a train box car for Tisdale, Sask. Mother, Grandma, sister, brother and myself went with a friend by car to Tisdale. We had a house in the Willow Hill district where we spent the winter. The neighbours gave us vegetables which we hadn’t had in months. Even turnips I liked then but don’t care for today. I guess if one is hungry enough, any food will taste good. One day I put a terrible scare into every one. I do not know why but I went and sat down behind the door. I must have fallen asleep and the family discovered me missing. They called and looked everywhere for me, in old wells and even in the bush. They were afraid a bear had got me, Eveleen happened to look behind the door and there I was. I never got into trouble but sure had everyone scared.

In the spring, Dad got work in the Eastman district and I went to school there. At the age of six, we had a mile and a half to walk to school but if you cut through the bush and pasture land it was only a mile from the Eastman school. I remember my first Christmas concert when I had to say a recitation. I see a big moon away up in the sky, it looks at me with his one big eye, the more he looks the more I think, if I was that man I’d wink. Well, I’d never learned how to wink so as a result I tried hard and closed both eyes.

My mother was one of the instructors in the farm girls club so I was taken to the farm girls meetings. There was sewing, cooking, knitting and other needle work taught. I also was taught even though I was really too young for the club. It was a good learning for me as today, I call do most types of needle work.

I had a part colly dog that my brother and I used for a sleigh dog. I spent many winter days with the dog. He would only go out the front gate and go 500 yards down to the barn gate and back out the front gate. I guess I went many miles around those two gates each year. Our neighbour family came for supper one fall moonlit night. They had two children, a boy a little older than me and a girl, Normans age. My brother, Joyce, Geordy and myself went out to the coral where the cattle were laying down resting after milking. We decided to ride the cows, so we got on the cows that were laying down. Some of us stayed on when they got up and some landed in some undesirable pats. Joyce went and sat on a fence post and when she went to jump down, her dress slipped over the post. There she hung and it was all Norman could do to lift her up so we cold get her dress over the post.

My parents used to play for dances. In those days, the kids would not be left at home with a baby sitter. We were all taken to the dances. When we got tired, we would find our parents coats and curl up in them and go to sleep. One night before the dance, mom and dad were tunning up there instruments to the piano. A little boy and I got running around the floor and I fell. I’m not sure but may have broke my nose. Well I wasn’t too popular as dad had to take me home and my sister had to go home and stay with me. She was 16 and at that age, she liked to be at the dance. I knew I’d never do that again as sis gave me such a lecture. The next morning, I got another from mother. From then on, I’d go to the dances and soon learned to dance. It was like running but I learned to dance very well at a young age.

Another little incident that happened was also funny. My mother always enjoyed her cats. Well this one night while she was making supper, one of the cats was at her feet mewing and she said “oh get out of here you brute, I wish you were dead”. Well Norman and I decided that cat must go, so we took it to the bush and both of us had a stick of wood. We proceeded to hit the cat on the head. My brother said a cat had nine lives I knew no better, so we each hit the cat nine times. The next day mother asked if we’d seen the cat. We told her we had killed the cat for her. Well again we got into trouble.

In 1939, we moved 20 miles south of Tisdale to Barrier Valley. We only spent a year and a half there but many things happened there. With my brother’s help, we were anything but angels. By this time, my sister was working, but would come home on her days off. We lived in a log house. The main floor was one big room with the kitchen at one end and the living room at the other end. We had room for three beds upstairs. One time a fellow came to sell field peas. He was a little retarded and had a speech impediment.

Eveleen and I were up stairs when he came and mother was trying to find out how much he wanted for the peas. Eveleen I looked down a knot hole in the floor to watch what was going on. Eveleen spit down the hole and it landed between mother and the fellow. He looked up and we ran for the pillows to laugh. Well again we got into hot water. Another time, Eveleen’s boy friend came to visit and he sat at the foot of the stairs. Norman took a suit of dads long combination underwear and dangled it over Eveleen’s boyfriend’s head.

He couldn’t see them but mother and Eveleen tried to carry on a conversation without laughing. You guessed it, we got into terrible again. Another time, we kids were all upstairs and a lady came to visit shortly after we moved in. She was very English and she was telling mother how nice we had the place fixed up. She said that the one time before when she had been there, the dickie birds were flying in and out the windows. Well Norman, Eveleen and I thought it sounded so funny the English accent and again we made for the pillows to laugh. This time, Norman kicked the combinet pot and the lid flew off and spun right by the stairs. Luck was with us and it didn’t fall downstairs. That year and a half, Norman and I got into a lot of mischief. I was old enough that I had a cow to milk. It was almost dry but it was still one of my jobs. The school wasn’t open very much as they had trouble keeping a teacher. It seemed they couldn’t pay the teachers, why I don’t know. So my fokes got Norman and I into another school where we had 4 ½ miles to school. We had a horse and a tobogan to go to school with. My fokes use to put rocks in the oven of the stove and get them hot. Then wrap the rocks in newspaper and put them in the toboggan to keep our feet and hands warm.

My brother and I used to dig Sinicar root to make a little spending money. Sinicar root is a herb. We used to get paid by the pound so we would soak it in water to make it heavier and we would get more money for it. On moonlit nights, we used to go tobogganing as there was a big hill on the highway. It curved down around the bottom and there was a railing all down the hill. One time, there was ten of us piled on the toboggan and we didn’t make the curve. Fortunately, we rolled off in time before we got our heads taken off with the cable as the toboggan went under the cable.

I was taking grade five when we moved to the Golburn district, south of Tisdale. I was not doing well in school as I’d just made grade four with poor marks so I found grade five hard. As a result, I failed grade five. Maybe if I’d payed more attention to school work and not what mischief I could get into, I’d got better grades. Our new place in Golburn district was 2 1/2 miles from school so we had to be on the road in good time in the mornings, as we walked to school because there was no school busses. Norman and I joined the 4H club. I was in the swine club and we each got a pig in the spring and raised it till fall. These pigs were all pure bred stock. We had a good leader of the club. He had taken early retirement and had the time to spend with the boys and girls. We learned to judge horses, cows, sheep, chickens and of course pigs. We learned how to identify over three hundred weeds, by the plant or by seed or flowers. We had a class B fair at Golburn ever year, held the second week of Aug. We put in many entries and generally did well on the prizes. One year, I took top honours for the girls in judging livestock and Norman took top honours for the boys. We both qualified to go to the Toronto Royal fair, but being that I was only thirteen, they said that I was too young and the next boy runner up got to go.

It was his last year in the club. My sister was telling me that when we first moved to Golburn, I got in a tiffed and I was going to run away. I packed a pair of socks and some rouge in a bag and headed to the bush. Eveleen was home and mother sent her to watch to see were I went. A while later, I came sneaking back and gradually made my way back to the house. Eveleen told me I’d better get a bath as the cops were coming to get me, so bath I did but no cops came to get me. I don’t think I ever tried it again.

The next year, Dad bought a place instead of renting. It was all bush and had to have a house moved on to it. I did not go back into the 4H club. There had to be a barn built and a well dug. We also did some land clearing to crop, the next year. Dad worked out a lot and by this time my brother Norman was away from home. Mother and I spent a lot of the summer alone. I would milk the cow and do the chores, even had to fix fence at times. I soon learned that I had a responsibility to help at home. I was in school and three miles to go. In the summer, I would ride my bicycle. In the winter, I would ride with the neighbour’s children. We went to school in a van. It was a small type building about 4 feet by 6 feet on sleighs. It had a little stove made out of a small barrel or some thing that would work the same. There were small windows in the back and sides and one big window with two sliding window so you could open it. There was two small holes for the reins to go though. Some had seats on the side and a door in the back so if you upset the van on your travel, you could always get out. The others had seats going straight across and they would have a door on each side, one for the front seat and the other for the back seat. These vans were hauled with a team of horses. Not like a cutter where one horse was used most of the time to pull them. I remember one terrible storm and the neighbour kids came. They were later than usual as the road had been bad. In the first half mile, they had to go home and get another team of horses. The roads were not plowed out in those days. We only went another mile and the horses got down in the deep snow. They got them out and took them home and got another team. When we got main road, it wasn’t too bad but we didn’t get to school until ten o’clock. That night, we were asked to stay after school. The teacher balled us out for being late. We said what a time we had to get to school and all the teacher said was “the next time, start an hour earlier”. Herb, the oldest of the neighbour kids, said to the teacher that the next time, if there is one, we won’t even try to get to school.

Another time Norman and I went to the school to skate as they had an out door rink there. It was at night and there was a big drift of snow right near the school but road went out around the drift. Norman forgot about it and the team got right close to the top of the drift and over we went and the bottom came off the van. We got the horses and set the van on its bottom. After skating, we had to go real slow home so the top wouldn’t fall off. Boy that sure scared me when we tipped over, fire sparks, ashes and all other stuff went flying.

Mother and Dad were still playing for dances and I was started playing with them. I used to play the guitar. At the age of fifteen, I no longer wanted to play for dances, I’d rather dance. I was active in the school sports, I use to catch for the school team. I was always active in any thing the school put on and was often called on to sing at the socials. I entered in armature hours held in Tisdale and was broad cast over the radio station CKBI Prince Albert, Sask.

After finishing grade ten, you had to go to Tisdale for school and board in town. I could not do that as it was too costly. In 1949, I married Robert Borden Kenyon. He was always known as Borden. We went to Mission BC for our honeymoon and later Borden got work there in a cedar shingle mill. The wages were pretty good and we lived with his mother. She was a lovely lady. The work at the mill wasn’t steady as high water in the spring would close them down and the hot weather in the summer would some time close them down if they couldn’t get logs.

On Apr 5, 1950, we had a son Melvin Robert and in the fall of 1950, we returned to Golburn Sask were Borden got work with CB Sorenson. He was kept on though the winter. We had obtained a small house to live in. On Mar 16, 1951, we had another son, Buddy Howard. Borden continued to work with CB. I was kept busy with the two babies and we had a garden. When the fall work was over, we returned to Mission where we again stayed with Grandma Kenyon. Borden worked again in the shingle mill. On May 20, 1952, we had a daughter Kathleen Ann. She was only two weeks old when we left Mission to go back to the Tisdale district to run a farm for a Len Hill. We brought an other young lady with us to help look after the children. She wanted to visit some of her folks too before she returned to Mission.

We spent two years running the farm there. I learned how to cook for thrashers and seven or eight men when we had wood cutters in. We had no running water or electricity. There was no fridges or electric washing machines. We had a gas lantern and lamp and I had a gas iron. Clothes were washed by a machine that had a handle which, when you pulled back and forth, the dally would work so it was an all day job. To wring the clothes out, we had a hand wringer which had a handle and two rollers. Turning the handle would make the rollers turn and the clothes were rolled between the roller and the water was squeezed out. Many buttons would also pop off. We had an old well, which we let buckets down into to keep cream, butter, and meat, and milk.

Water was heated on the stove for dishes, bath and washing clothes. The toilet was a hundred to hundred and fifty feet from the house, No warm seat to sit on in 40 below weather and the pages of the catalogue was some times pretty scratchy.

Kathy was only 3 months old when I got the chicken pox. I was very sick with them and I gave them to all the children. I was a member of homemakers club and caught them from one of the ladies there. She only had three poxs but I made up for her and myself as you couldn’t put a dime on me anywhere. I was in bed for two weeks and still counted fifty on my face. While we were there, we nearly lost Buddy. We had a big water trough and Melvin came running to the house and said “Buddy is in the water”. I flew out to the barn and there he was in the trough and was up to his neck in water. I grabbed him up and got him to the house to dry off. They never went near the water trough again. I was so thankful that they were all right that I never even gave them a spanking for going where they had been told not to go.

In the late fall of 1953, we moved to Nipawin, Sask where Borden took employment as a mechanic. We got a place to rent but it was a cold place. We burned a half ton of coal every ten days in a cook stove. When it was really cold, Borden would sit up till midnight and then fill the stove full of coal for the night. He would be up again at 5 to do it again, still the curtains froze in ice on the windows. The pee pot we had upstairs for the night would also freeze, so I would have to bring it downstairs in the morning and let it sit behind the stove till it thawed out. We had a big dog and one day when I went to take out the pot, the dog seen me putting on my coat. He made a leap for the door and knocked the pot over. Well it had every thing in it, what a mess I had to clean up. Our dog was a very good watch dog, no one would ever touch the children or I.

The next spring, we found a different place to rent. We had electricity and water from a pump in the house. In the fall, Borden had bought a ticket on a car and our only ticket was drawn form a forty five gallon drum. Oh how happy we were, a new car. In the spring of 1955, work was getting scarce so Borden left with the car to find a new job. He found work at Hazlet, Sask with Russ Johnson who had a garage. That was a very small place and it was hard to find a place to rent. The kids and I remained in Nipawin for a month and a half, then he was able to rent a place that one of the farmer had in town, as they moved to the farm. I remember the day he came to get us, the 10th of May and it snowed over night about four inches. We packed all our belongings in a trailer and the car and headed for Hazlet. In the fall, we bought a lot and had a house moved in.

On March 14, 1957 we had a son Reginald Dewayne. Our house was small so with another child, we found it a little crowded but we managed. While in Hazlet, I was a member of the United Church choir and also belonged to the Ladies Auxiliary to the Canadian Legion.

In the fall of 1958, Borden took a job in Gull Lake, Sask. He worked as a mechanic in a shop for Evert Moat. We bought a big house just half a block from the shop where Borden worked. Kathy started school and Melvin and Buddy were both in grade two.

Melvin failed grade one, only because he hated his teacher and would not do his work. He could do it fine at home and could not understand that he was only hurting himself and would have to do the work over the next year. In 1959, Evert Moat decided to sell his business, so four of the men formed a company and bought Evert out. There was Joe Hunt, Rae Sims, Phil Jennsen and Borden. They called it Central Sale. They had Massey Fergusson, Mercury cars, Ford trucks and Noble blade cultivators.

In 1961 we found that Reg was limping and had the doctor check him out. He found that he had Puith disease of the hip, which is when the socket of the hip is too tight on the ball and it cuts the blood circulation off. Only complete rest would help. He was in a cast from the waist down to his toes on one leg. He had that on for six months but had to have it changed ever three months. After he got out of that he had to have a harness, which was a strap around his waist and another one that came down at back. It hooked on to one on his shoe and held his foot off the ground. He was in that for a year and a half and was fortunate that he never ended up with a that leg shorter than the other. He will in later years likely have to have a hip replacement.

We lived there for twelve years, Though out these years, I had a big garden and we can three to four hundred jars of fruit and vegetables. We had a big freeze full of wild meat such as deer, duck, geese, antelope and some fish. I said it was a big house with a large kitchen, a large living room, one master bedroom downstairs, a bathroom, a front hall and a back porch with the entrance to the basement. Upstairs there was two fair size bedroom and one very large one, big enough for two beds. I also use to drive for the business, making many trips to Regina to bring back parts. When the children got older, both Mel and Bud had paper routes and Kathy use to baby sit. I took on the job of Janitor at the Elks hall for the last four years in Gull Lake. Reg use to come and help me and I payed him. In July 1965, the shop caught fire. It was a bad fire and was a great lost to the business. It didn’t completely burn, but there was a great deal of damage from water, especially to parts. Some time the parts that looked all right started to rust and they had been re-assessed by the firms inspector. The cause of the fire was due to who ever they had rewire the shop the year before. They didn’t rewire a light over the side door and it was faulty, shorted out, causing the fire. The place was rebuilt and was enlarged some.

In 1966, Reg got a guitar for his ninth birthday. In 1967, he entered the armature hour in Swift Current, Sask. He was singing and accompanying himself on the guitar. He came in fourth and we were very proud of him. In 1969, Melvin & Bud were out working.

Borden heard of a job on Vancouver Island and he went there to check it out. He made a deal with a machinery dealer to run a small business in Courtenay, BC. He returned home with the news and it was a very busy fall. Borden got a five ton truck and I had to sort out what to take as every thing couldn’t go. We sold a lot of things very cheap. The stuff we sold we should of taken and sold it out there as the prices was very high. The old furniture was in the antique line, however we did what had to be done and by the 23 of November, we were ready to leave. I drove the car with Kathy and Reg and our old cat. The first fifteen miles, the cat never stopped mewing in a real moanful mew, but he soon grew to enjoy his car ride. We got to Calgary the first night. The next day, Borden was to meet use a Golden for dinner but he never made it as the truck broke down near Canmore, Alberta. Borden got word to us to go on so we went on to Kamloops to stay with some friends. The next day, we went to Mission and stayed there with Borden’s sister till Borden came. He got his truck fixed at Canmore which was something to do with the valves. He got to the top of the summit out of Revelstoke and the drive shaft broke. He had to have it toed into Revelstoke and took the train to Mission. He had to borrow money to get the truck fixed and went back and got the truck fixed. The next day was December 4th and we headed for the Island and stayed in Parksville. We went up to Qualicum Bay to see our friend who was looking for a house for us in Courtenay. They had got us an apartment with three bedrooms. We moved in on December 6th. We spent till June there and then moved out to an acreage in rural Comox. Our friends, Alvin and Mae Grubel, decided to buy property so we rented their house. They put a trailer on the lot to live in. There was almost 9 acres and we spent almost two years there. Then we bought a place in Royston, four miles south of Courtenay.

Borden gave up running the machine business and went back to his old trade, heavy duty mechanic in logging camps. He worked for 8 months for Crowns Elerback logging, then he went to work for Canadian Forest Products, at Vernon camp at the northern end of the Island. He was gone all week.

Mel and Charlotte were married in 1970, They came out to the Island in April 1974. Mel wanted to get work out there, so his dad got him work in the logging camp. They had a moving van get their stuff and they took an apartment and never went back to Calgary.

The year before, Borden got work for Bud in Nimpkish Camp as a parts man. On Sept 15, 1973 Kathy and Don were married.

On April 22, 1974 Borden had a stroke. He spent many days in hospital before he was able to come home. He got to the point where he could walk with a shuffle. I used to take Borden on trips to the Prairies to visit all the relatives. I had a large garden and many flowers. I can’t remember which year but I think it was 1974 that Bud gave his dad a dash hound for his birthday. She was a beautiful little reddish brown, short haired female dog. Borden called her Sussie after the therapist he had in Naniamo. He said she was soft and tender like his therapist. In 1975, I got 4 female rabbits and had them bread. I had a lot of young rabbits, then I had them bread again and I ended up with 82 rabbits. In the fall, I butchered them and we had a lot of young rabbit meat. That year Buddy moved to Vancouver to work.

In 1974, the children put on a surprise party for our twenty fifth anniversary. It was a lovely do, relatives came from all over for a lovely supper and dance. It was wonderful of them as Borden was handicapped and got to see so many of his relatives.

In 1975, Reg got work in Vernon camp where Mel was working. After he got married, he bought a trailer in Courtenay. They lived there a year and then he bought another double wide trailer in Comox. Shortly after that, Mel and Charlette bought the trailer next door. Later they both sold and moved to camp to live. Don and Kathy lived in rented places for a few years and then bought a place out in Comox. It was a raw piece of property and they got a new home put on it. They still have some more landscaping to do. Don worked for a while with the city garbage collecting but later got a job with the pulp mill. On December 18, 1976 Reg & Shelley were married.

In 1978, it was discovered that Borden had cancer of the lung. We had to spend three weeks at the cancer clinic in Vancouver for him to take treatments. He became quite ill with the treatments, but recovered quickly and didn’t have any more recurrence. At this time, I was getting pretty tired, I looked in to getting a homemaker in once a week so that I could get out for awhile. The doctor approved it and I had a homemaker in for five hours once a week. That gave me a break and I could do my shopping and pay my bills. I found that it was getting more difficult to take care of Borden as he was not getting so good.

In January 1980, Borden had a heart attack while he was at home, so I called the ambulance. A few days later he had another and never recovered. He died Jan 22, 1980 and his ashes were placed on his fathers grave in Mission Memorial Cemetery.

Life must go on so I stayed on in the place in Royston. In the summer, I took a six week trip back to Saskatchewan to visit relatives. In February 1981, I took a cruise throw the Caribbean.

In 1989, I bought a 31 foot Terry fifth wheel and a GMC heavy half truck. I spent the winter in Arizona. After coming home, I decided to sell the place as it was now far too much for me to look after. I sold the place in July, but didn’t have to get out till the first of November. I had booked a trip to Nova Scotia to spend some time with my step son and his wife and I was there for three weeks. I had a lovely time as it was such a beautiful country in the fall. I went to Ontario and spent a week with my brother Norman and his wife Ida.

I put a small deposit down on a mobile home, so when my money came through on the place, I had a trailer. I managed to move in on the 21 of November. In the spring Reg put in under ground sprinkling system for me. Eveleen and Don also came to visit to spend a week with me. Just after Easter my car was faulty, the gear shift fell down and I had to get it fixed. It was going on four years old and I found that with my arthritis, the shifting of gears was bothering my arm. I got looking over the cars and ended up trading my car off no a new Hyundai, a little bigger than the one I had before and an automatic.

On June 3, I left for a trip to Prairies to visit friends and relatives. I met up with a friend, George Hemming in Winnipeg. I had met him in January and he was a very nice, kind hearted man. I returned to the Island the 22 of July. In August, George came from Winnipeg to see me and on the 3rd of September, we travelled back to Winnipeg together. We returned to the Island before the first of November.

In January 1992, George & I spent a month in Hawaii. George went back to Winnipeg after we returned as he wanted to have some garage sales to clean out a lot of house hold things. The next winter 1993, we went to Hawaii for two months. While we were there, he sold his place. In the spring, I went and helped him with garage sales and to get things in order. Then we came back to the Island. We worked together to build a fence and a deck on the south side.

In the spring of 2000, George bought a new station wagon as mine was ten years old. We took off for Winnipeg on June 28 and we spent a few days. Then we flew to Halifax, where my step son lives. We were there 11 days and saw the 2000 millennium of tall ships. We returned to Winnipeg and spent 11 days and then we stopped at the spa at Manitou beach for a day before returning home. We have enjoyed summer, golfing, dancing twice a week, alley bowling twice a week, carpet bowling twice a week and go for long walks when can. In the fall of 2001, George moved back to Manitoba to be close to his two daughters. Lillian passed way in Courtenay, BC on Sept 13, 2015.

G10: Melvin Robert Kenyon 1950-2019 & Susan Christena Hayword

Melvin Robert Kenyon was born April 9, 1950 in Mission, BC. I lived in Mission BC, the Goldburn district in Saskatchewan and at Nipiwin, Hazlet and Gull Lake, Saskatchewan when I was growing up. I attended school until I got grade 9 and then went to work at Shaunavan in the CO-OP store. Later I got work in the Gull Lake CO-OP store. I joined the army and spent a year in Calgary before moving to Ontario. After I got discharged, I worked in a gas station until I got work with Benal Co-Dare oil.

When I got laid off, I went to Calgary and worked for a Texaco Gas Station for five years. While in Calgary, I married Charlette Wingerbacb in June 1970. We went to visit my parents in Courtenay, BC and I found work at Canfor Logging at the Woss camp.

Charlette and I got our divorced in Dec 1980 and I was married again to Susan Christena Hayword. She had two children, Tanya (1972) and Shawn (1974). A daughter Tracy Lynn Kenyon was born on February 9, 1981. Susan worked for the Human Resources. I worked 28 years for Canfor.

Tracy was married to Brandon Alexander in July 2000. Tracy & Brandon had a son, Adrian Robert Alexander on January 18, 2001.

G10: Buddy Howard Kenyon 1951 & Bonnie Lew Jenzen

Buddy Howard Kenyon was born March 16, 1951 at the Tisdale General Hospital. I lived in Mission BC, the Goldburn district in Saskatchewan and at Nipiwin, Hazlet and Gull Lake, Saskatchewan when I was growing up.

I finished school and got my grade 11. I went to work for Fred Homane and then I went to Calgary and worked for a water proofing company. I went to Westadkwin, Alberta and worked for a car dealership. While there, I got my partsman certificate.

In 1972, I went to Vancouver Island and stayed with my parents. I got work at Nimpkish for Canfar. This camp was located near the north end of the Island. I moved later to  Vernon Camp which closed up. I went to Vancouver and got work as a partsman in a car dealership and later moved to Prince George and worked for a car dealership.

I married Bonnie Lew Jenzen on Oct 11, 1980. We had a son Tyler Borden in 1982 and in October 1985, a daughter, Kimberly Sarha was born in Prince George.

Buddy died on April 7, 2019, in Prince George, British Columbia, at the age of 68.

G10: Kathleen Ann Kenyon 1952 & Donald Dean Wilkie

Kathleen Ann (Kathy) Kenyon was born on May 20, 1952, in Mission, British Columbia, to Lillian Rosella Burdett, age 21, and Borden Kenyon, age 36.

She married Donald Dean Wilkie. They had no children.

Donald passed away on January 15, 2016, at the age of 63.

G10: Reginald Dewayne Kenyon 1957 & Shelly Parthenals

Reginald Dewayne Kenyon was born on March 14, 1957 at Cabri, Saskatchewan. I lived at Hazlet Sask for one year and then moved to Gull Lake, Saskatchewan. At the age of four, I was diagnosed with Purth disease of the hip, I spent some time in hospital and was in cast from the waist down on one leg with just my toes out. I spent 3 months in the cast, then I had it changed for three more months. I was in a harness and crutches for a year.

When I was in grade 8, we moved to Courtenay B.C. We moved later to Royston where I finished school. I got a job as chock man for a month, then I went to picking oyster until I got work at Toyota. After three months, I got my own car. I got a new job in camp as apprentice mechanic at Woss Camp near the north end of the Island.

I married Shelly Parthenals and we bought a trailer out on Wentworth Road. We lived there a couple of years, sold and bought a new double wide trailer on Anderton Road in Comox. All this time, I spent Monday through Friday in camp working night shift.

A daughter Tina Marie, was born Dec 2, 1978 in Comox. A couple of years later, we sold and moved to a camp house where I worked. Tina attended school in Gold River and was in grade three when we bought a place at little river in the Comox district That was to be our permanent home on Miller Road.

In 1982, a second daughter Angla Lynn was born. In 1998, I started work with the Air Force Base, so I could be home with the family and go back to day shift after 21 years of night shift. It was a pleasure to go to work in the daylight.

In August 1998, Shelly left and Angie went with her. I got my divorce and later met a girl in Port Alburnie, Joanne Hepburn. We are now together and she has a cafe very close to my work. I go there for my lunch. We are both through work at 3:30 and we both only work Monday to Friday. We both enjoy the outdoors.

Tina married George Freeborne and have a son Harlin Cole Freeborne.

Angla has a son Taylin Conrad Kenyon.